
Opposition parties in the Free State are gunning for Ms MaQueen Letsoha-Mathae’s head on a silver platter for corruption allegations that surfaced last week involving her husband, who is currently the Council Speaker of Mangaung Metro Cllr Lawrence Mathae.
Following the allegations, the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) in the Free State did not waste any time, they reacted by opening a case of corruption against Premier MaQueen Letsoha-Mathae. The Democratic Alliance in the province has now joined the crusade and said they will request the HAWKS to investigate the Premier.
Allegations surfaced last week by a road contractor Mr Patrick Phuti, CEO of New Beginnings, he alleged that he facilitated a R4,5 million transfer to the Premier and her family through a family vehicle, cash payments and transport for ANC events by the ANCWL. It is further alleged that this includes R2 million paid to the Premier via Phuti by Tau Pele, the new contractor on the Tweespruit Excelsior road contract, after the cancellation of the New Beginnings contract due to poor performance.
Letsoha-Mathae is distancing herself from the allegations and dismissed them as malicious and unfounded. He said the Premier further implores the individual or individuals from the said company to approach the law enforcement agencies to lay charges in support of his allegations.
The EFF expressed its concern over the allegations and has described Letsoha-Mathae as a corrupt figure. The party said looting and corruption that festered during her tenure as MEC for Community Safety, Roads and Transport have now followed her into the Premier’s office like a dark, festering shadow.
The EFF last week Friday opened a case of corruption at Park Roads Police Station in Bloemfontein against the Premier and Council Speaker of Mangaung Metro. The party was led by its Provincial Secretary Commissar Malefane Msimanga.
Dr Roy Jankielsohn, the Leader of the DA in the Free State said the allegations levelled against the Premier must be investigated. He said the DA was baffled when Letsoha-Mathae was appointed Premier of the province given her poor performance as MEC for Community Safety, Roads and transport.
“The current allegations indicate that the Free State remains fraught with allegations of factional-based corruption and state capture that require investigation by law enforcement agencies. In this respect, the ANC will never regain its credibility and continues to prove that it is inherently corrupt and divided and will never be able to self-correct.
The Department of Community Safety, Roads and Transport has many roads contracts involving hundreds of millions of rands that have required multiple contractors and new contracts. This has delayed the completion of roads and has caused many motor vehicle accidents and even deaths. Some of these roads include Tweespruit Excelsior, Kroonstad Steynsrus and the now-completed Reitz Frankfort roads,” said Jankielsohn.
Premier MaQueen Letsoha-Mathae has since noted the allegations making rounds on social media. According to Mr Setjhaba Maphalla, the Acting Spokesperson to the Premier, Letsoha-Mathae is distancing herself from the allegations and dismissed them as malicious and unfounded. He said the Premier further implores the individual or individuals from the said company to approach the law enforcement agencies to lay charges in support of his allegations.
“Furthermore, the Premier wishes to refrain from making any comments regarding this matter, as advised by her legal representatives. The Premier does however, wish to indicate that her legal representatives have addressed a formal letter to the CEO of New Beginnings earlier today, 11 October 2024, and will allow due process to unfold and all further communication, if any, will be through her lawyers.
As a matter of principle, the Premier remains committed to clean governance and reiterates that service providers who fail to complete projects for which they have been appointed, shall not have space in this administration,” said Maphalla.

